- Hamsters are actually not nocturnal, they are crepuscular (Yes, that word is quite the mouthful!). This means that they are active mostly in the twilight hours.
- The smallest hamster is just 2-4 inches (6-10 cm) long!
- Hamsters are actually omnivores! Though they will eat fruit, vegetables and seeds in the wild, hamsters will also eat things like crickets and meal worms, and sometimes chicken.
- The most common hamster that people get as pets is the Syrian hamster.
- There are four main domestic types of hamster (that just means that there are 4 types of hamsters that you can have as a pet) this consists of the Syrian hamster, the Dwarf hamster. the Chinese hamster and the Roborovki hamster.
- Hamsters are color blind!
- Not all species of hamsters can mix. If you put the wrong hamsters together, they can injure or even kill each other. (For more info on placing to hamsters in the same cage click HERE)
- If your hamster bites you, don’t worry, they don’t hate you! They are just not used to you. If you give a hamster your time and effort to get to know it, you will be buddies in no time!
- Baby hamsters are known as pups!
- Female hamsters are seen to be more energetic and aggressive, while the males tend to be more relaxed and sleepy, though this is not the case for all hamsters.
- Baby hamsters are blind until they are two weeks old!
- Hamster’s teeth never stop growing.
- To make sure that your hamster’s teeth don’t grow too long, give them wood chews.
- If you buy a mesh wheel for your hamster, it can cause a dangerous disease called bumblefoot.
- If you are a new hamster owner, research your pet as much as you can so that you and your hamster will be healthy and happy. (Click HERE for Your First Hamster 101)
Thanks for reading!
Follow me on Twitter: @hellohamster101
Follow me on Instagram: @hellohamster101
Email any questions or concerns you may have to email@example.com
Follow my YouTube channel: Hamster101